Thursday, January 22, 2009

How low can you go?

So I just got home and it's 1:30 in the morning. Saw Martha and I told her about my current financial destitution and my desperate need to find a job, any job.  I'm not particularly satisfied about the outcome of this evening but I really have no choice at the moment. 

I will be a barmaid soon.

Now before ya'll start telling me that nothing is wrong with working at a bar and a lot of people do it for the cash and blah blah blah, I want to just let it be known that I have had visions of grandeur of me being a bartender and making crazy tips. But only on my spare time. 

In this case, because I have been searching for a full time job since July of last year, desperate times call for desperate measure.  I used to work for a major Canadian publication, but only as a part time office assistant...pretty much someone who did the grunt work for everyone else. But I was happy with it because I knew it would be a good experience and it was a foot in the door for something better. Then the recession hit, and I was let go.  Bills started pilling up and I found myself working for a scam telemarketing company offering medical plans to hicks in the states. 

I wanted to gauge out my eye balls, shove pencils in my ears, and spew the blood all over my 23 year old "boss" then throw myself outside the un-openable windows. It wasn't fun. 

So I quit after 6 days.  

Since then I have created files with three major job placement agencies, applied to on average 5 job postings a day and have been left empty handed. 

Unfortunately my french is pretty crap so that is the major thing that is holding me back. It is of course my fault...I mean hell i've been back in this country for ten years now I should be pretty fluent. But alas I am not, so something has to give.

Anyway, chatting it up with Martha over a drink we decide that I should start asking around at the local bars downtown as well as one closer to my house. They all want me to come in tomorrow and speak to their managers. I would prefer to work downtown because at least I have a lower risk of bumping into someone I went to high school with at the bar closer to my house, that would be horrendous.  I've escaped these people for a reason and to see them there would not be pleasant. 

Ok this post looks pretty grim and pathetic but I don't want you guys to think I'm whining but you guys have to agree this is pretty discouraging.  I just hope 2009 will bring better news and better opportunities beyond "what can I get you boys tonight?" 

My aunt who likes to think of herself as a "mystic" told my mother that this year I will meet someone who will jumpstart my writing career and become very successful.  Right now I'm putting my hopes on those Bingo scratchies that I so love to buy...

Wish me luck kids.

By the way...do you think I'll look good in a skirt? Because damn I'm going to have to get used to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment