Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Game Show Network

Being unemployed is never fun, however when you start looking forward to watching Family Feud and reruns of Match Game, that's when you know you gotta get your ass in gear and pick up a friggen hobby. 

I am technically employed, I'll be teaching the masses how to converse in English. It's part time until more clients start to pile up, and for those who know me these clients are in for a treat. I am not your typical tutor that will be by the book with exercises of gerunds and dangling participles, rather I like to shoot the shit with my clients and let them have fun in their lessons. I do this because it makes my life easier, and it masks the fact that my spelling and grammar are horrendous. But don't tell them that heehee...

So anyways these past five days were interesting, and yes I apologize for taking my sweet ass time in posting a new blog. I told you I'm lazy! 

I ended up applying to about three bars, all of which were not looking or wanted me to come in the next day for an "interview." I always wondered what this "interview" would entail...do they bring out a measuring tape and get my personal digits? Because I highly doubt if my knowledge of mixology will be of any consequence...not that I have such knowledge but you get my drift. I came home feeling gross and short changed, I'm worth better than this aren't I? After a few hours and a couple smokes I started to believe it, and had the whole notion of bar tending out of my head.  Plus I never got a call back anyway so whatever. 

Next day I had my interview with the ESL president and we had a nice informative discussion about client tutor policies and what to expect out of our contracts. I'm pretty excited and I'm looking forward to building a clientele, especially since they will all be closer to home.  

The weekend was spent visiting friends and keeping them company. I pride myself on my circle of friends, they are pretty eclectic and varied. Although sometimes some friends I can't mesh too well with others because they either have no social tact whatsoever, or they just don't get along as much due to past differences. But nothing horrendous though, no cat fights or tire slashings. I can't see myself being friends with someone who refuses to burst their bubble of ignorant bliss and realize that there are so many different scenes out there and that just because these people are not from your part of town, not your nationality, or listen to different music as you, doesn't mean they are someone not worthy of your time. This mentality is one of the major reasons why I couldn't stand high school. Many of the people I encountered there have the same reasoning to this day, even after college, university, and work.  I try to steer clear from them...

Now because I'm dirt broke I decided to spend the other day at Chapters and read the new releases. I finished He's Just Not That Into You in 3 hours, and my the epiphanies and revelations I had. The book is written by two of the head writers of Sex and the City and it basically is formatted in a question and answer style with commentaries at the end of each section.  It's funny, truthful, and painfully honest. My love life so far has been filled with shortcomings and false promises.  Not that I'm giving up on it all, hell I'm not even 25, but I've learned so far that I will not be put in a position of waiting anymore. Either waiting for a date, a call, an ounce of recognition.  I'm a naturally bubbly person, I will chat with anyone and be the life of the party by the end of the night. So being approached is not the issue, it's keeping them interested. But then you have to ask yourself why should you have to fight to keep that person interested in you when CLEARLY he should see just how awesome you are and grovel at your feet! It's tough to condition yourself into believing that it's not you, it's him. Granted being closed off from society and sabotaging any sort of connection with the opposite sex won't help you at all, and that is definitely something to change about yourself. I unfortunately know a few people who still ward off emotional attachment yet bitch about never finding the right person or how the right person DID come along, but didn't stay...boggles the mind. So I've made a promise to myself to not settle and wait...I know for sure temptation will set it and excuses that will feel perfectly just and understandable(I'm so busy at work, my parents are annoying the hell out of me, I am the new ambassador of Lithuania) will only be excuses to not hurt my feelings...and to not see me.  

I can hear my mother cackling to Gene Rayburn of Match Game, and bellowing for me to join her...maybe I should start scrapbooking...

1 comment:

  1. a. you're right...you have no business whatsoever teaching others the english language

    2. you are awesome...i don't care what the rest of the world thinks of you

    c. it's pretty pathetic that you know the host's name to 'match game'

    hugs!

    ReplyDelete