Friday, February 20, 2009

On the Road to Nowhere

Thank goodness it's Friday...this seemed to be a never ending week. 

My progress at the survey joint is good, apparently I'm already hitting my quota and my boss is already my bitch: "If you need anything, ANYTHING, at all PLEASE tell me and I will make you as comfortable as possible." She likes me because I actually show up on time and I don't sound like I just came off the boat.  

Tragic news though, although I really shouldn't have gotten my hopes up on this anyway. I had my phone interview today and was not "considered a good candidate" for that position because although it requires 95% English speaking skills, that measly 5% of French skills trumps it all, even though I have over 3 years worth of experience and whatnot. So I'm back on the job hunt again...the survey place is fine but I can't live off the pennies that they offer me an hour. 

I'm not liking the way my CV is looking anyway: too much banking and not enough of media arts.  So I've decided that even if I need to do internships or freelance, I have to build my portfolio no matter what.  I'm determined to depend on no one but myself when it comes to a career so if it means doing drudgery for nothing, then so be it.  

This weekend I'll be doing a bit of research on building a simple website and getting a domain name, it's time to get this shit started.  I was always daunted at what laid ahead of me in regards to building this ezine. I always felt that if it failed at least I have something steady to fall back on. But I can't keep thinking that way anymore. If this project is going to be my little brainchild, my future moneymaker, I can't think of it half assed. I have to put my full energy into it. I'll be one of those maniacs at coffee shops having a nervous twitch with greasy hair and rapidly typing away at their laptops...totally hot. 

Expectations are high, especially from myself. One doesn't want to consider failure as an option but I have to be realistic about these things.  If it fails by not being popular enough, not targeting the right demographic, or just being a clone of something else...then I have to go back to the drawing board and get the creative juices flowing again. 

So no, maybe I shouldn't title this entry as On the Road to Nowhere. 

I feel better now, or maybe that's just delirium kicking in because my hunger is at a ravenous point...what do you think?

1 comment:

  1. successful people always have a vision of what they want their project to be. work towards your goal as a day to day thing - don't get tripped up on the big picture. as long as you're taking the steps you outline for yourself to achieve it, you'll be successful.

    ReplyDelete